Friday, March 29, 2013

300

After having time to digest the whole Fast Buck Freddie incident, I have one burning question left unanswered . Who was Freddie trying to scam?

Yeah, I know he was trying to scam me, but, who did he think I was? Did he actually think that I was capable of falling for his brand of Bull? Does he really think that there are people who lack the modicum of intelligence needed to see through his scam? Do such people actually exist outside of an institution?

I cannot, for the life of me, imagine that there are people alive on this planet who have the minimal skills needed to type an email or post an advertisement who are, nonetheless, stupid enough to fall for Freddie’s scheme. And yet, I know that, since he and his countrymen are actively pursuing these rip off schemes, that there MUST be some people out there who actually fall for this nonsense and lose their hard-earned money. Otherwise, obviously, Freddie would not be pursuing his little enterprise.

I had an acquaintance, Tony, in college. Tony envisioned himself as a young Hugh Heffner, living the Playboy lifestyle. No matter what the weather, Tony would walk around, inside and outside the dorm, wearing his blue bathrobe. Upon meeting a new young lady, Tony would immediately and unabashedly proposition her in the most graphic terms imaginable.

Tony got his face slapped a lot.

Tony also had a very active sex life.

As he explained it, it was strictly a numbers game. He knew that (by his count) one out of 80 young ladies was going to say yes, and that one yes was worth 79 face slaps.

Yes, Tony was a creep, but he was a happy creep.

I guess that Freddie is, in his own way, a lot like Tony. And Craig’s List (and the Internet) are his blue bathrobe.

STILL, I cannot, for the life of me, picture who Freddie’s target victim is. Until I remembered Mrs. Kerrigan.

Mrs. Kerrigan was my High Scholl Algebra teacher. She taught me how to figure out when certain trains would reach Chicago, as well as lots of other useless things. She also taught me Venn diagrams.

Since my High School days, I have never, ever, found the need to create a Venn diagram – until now.

So here, for the world to see, is my first real-world Venn Diagram:



Wow, I can actually envision who Freddie’s target victims are!

Thank you, Mrs. Kerrigan, wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment