Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Devil's Advocate




















'better the devil you know than the devil you don't'

– Old English Proverb


Wiser words are rarely spoken. It is often better to deal with someone or something you are familiar with, even if they are not ideal, than take a chance with an unknown person or thing that could very well turn out to be even worse. Those folks back in the olden days sure knew a thing or two about life.

The folks running our pharmaceutical industry don’t take much stock in this old proverb. Witness, for example, the latest commercials for the prescription drug Nasonex.

You’ve probably seen this commercial, which features a cute cartoon bee with a Spanish accent (at first, I thought it was a commercial for a Mexican soap opera). The drug is designed to alleviate allergy symptoms which affect so many people this time of year. Specifically, Nasonex treats the following symptoms:

- Congestion
- Runny Nose
- Itchy Nose
- Sneezing


Now for an allergy sufferer, this sounds like a good deal…until the end of the commercial. According to the ad, Nasonex users might expect to have the following adverse side effects when using this drug:

- Viral Infection
- Sore Throat
- Coughs
- Nose Bleeds

Makes you wonder if it’s worth the trade off. Ask yourself ‘Am I willing to trade Congestion for a Sore Throat? An Itchy Nose for a Viral Infection? Sneezing for coughing? Or, my favorite, a Runny Nose for a Bleeding Nose?

My guess is hat I am in the minority in my opinion: locally, Nasonex is the 58th most prescribed drug. Plus, at retail, it costs a whopping $8.00 eash time you squirt it up your schnoz. Of course, the manufacturer of Nasonex, Schering Corporation, wants to help. They’ll give you a coupon so that you’ll only pay a $15 copay to purchase this drug with your prescription plan – significant savings – until you get your next premium increase for your health insurance.

Now I realize that some prescription medicines are worth the outrageous prices and the adverse side affects – if that wonder drug is going to cure someone’s cancer or make little Billy walk again. As for me, when it comes to seasonal allergies, I think I’ll just stick with the $2.00 generic nose spray that I get at Wal-Mart. After all, it has always worked for me, it costs hundreds of dollars less, and it never gave me a viral infection or a bloody nose.


***** Found this Interesting, Entertaining or Informative? Please read the complete blog at: *****
http://healthcarehullabalo.blogspot.com/


Free Blog Counter

No comments:

Post a Comment